Wholesale Inserts

Common industry terms

  • Bleed:  Printing that extends to the edge of a sheet or page after trimming.
  • CMYK :  Abbreviation for cyan, magenta, yellow and key (black), the four process colors.
  • Commercial Printer:  Printer producing a wide range of products such as brochures, booklets, magazines, forms, etc.
  • Cover Paper: Category of thick paper used for products such as posters, menus, folders and covers of paperback books.
  • Dots-per-inch: Measure of resolution of devices such as scanners, display devices such as laser printers, and monitors. (DPI)
  • DPI:  “dots per square inch,” a measure of output resolution in relationship to printers, imagesetters and monitors.
  • Dull Finish: Flat (not glossy) finish on coated paper; slightly smoother than matte.
  • Folder: A bindery machine dedicated to folding printed materials.
  • Fold Marks: With printed matter, markings indicating where a fold is to occur, usually located at the top edges.
  • Four-color Process Printing: Technique of printing that uses black, magenta, cyan and yellow to simulate full-color images.
  • Full web:  Press that prints from rolls of paper, then cuts into sheet. Prints 16 pages at a time.
  • Gang Run:  To reproduce two or more different printed products simultaneously on one sheet of paper during one press run.
  • Gloss:  Consider the light reflecting on various objects in the printing industry (e.g., paper, ink, laminates, UV coating, varnish).
  • Graphics:  Visual elements that supplement type to make printed messages more clear or interesting.
  • Half web:  Press that prints from rolls of paper, then cuts into sheet. Prints 8 pages at a time.
  • Inserts:  Within a publication, an additional item positioned into the publication loose (not bound in).
  • Margin:  Imprinted space around the edge of the printed material.
  • Matte Finish:  Flat (not glossy) finish on photographic paper or coated printing paper.
  • News Print:  Paper used in printing newspapers. Considered low quality and “a short life use.” Not commonly used for inserts.
  • PDF:  Adobe software that saves art designs in a “portable device format” suitable for viewing and printing.
  • Perforating:  Creating a line of small dotted wholes for the purpose of tearing-off a part of a printed matter.
  • Proof:  Test sheet made to reveal errors or flaws, predict results on how a printing job is intended to appear when finished.
  • Quotation:  Price offered by a printer to produce a specific job.
  • RGB:  Abbreviation for red, green, blue, the additive color primaries. Used mostly for electronic monitors, not printing.
  • Saddle Stitch:  To bind by stapling sheets together where they fold at the spine, as compared to side stitch.
  • Tabloid:  Using a broadsheet as a measure, one half of a broadsheet.
  • Trim Size:  The size of the printed material in its finished stage (e.g., the finished trim size is 5 1\2 x 8 1\2).
  • Uncoated Paper:  Paper that has not been coated with clay. Also called offset paper.
  • UV Coating:  Liquid applied to a printed sheet, then bonded and cured with ultraviolet light.
  • Web Press:  Press that prints from rolls of paper, usually cutting it into sheets after printing. Web presses come in many sizes.

Click to view more about our printing sizes, visit our services page or individual size detail pages:

Questions or need a quote? Contact us online or call 864-230-4287 today!